Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Celery Root Soup with Truffle Oil


Have you ever seen one of these vegetables? 
Neither had I until last week but this is celeriac or most known as celery root. It totally reminded me of the mandrake plant from Harry Potter and if you don't know what i'm talking about please look it up, it will give you a good laugh. The celeriac has a very strong smell when peeling it and cooking it but it makes a great soup. If you see one of these crazy looking root vegetables around pick it up and give this recipe a try. Enjoy! 
Ingredients
Makes 4 Bowls

1 celeriac, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup leeks, chopped
2 tbs butter
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp salt

3 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup almond milk or heavy cream
6 shitake mushrooms, sliced (optional)
truffle oil
parsley or chopped green onions

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add in the celery root. Boil until very tender then drain.
2. In a separate pot, melt the butter on medium heat and add in the garlic and leeks. Cook for 3-5 minutes on medium heat, stirring just a few times.
3. Add in the salt, vegetable broth and celery root, cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Once the celery root is very tender either place the soup into a blender or use an immersion blender to puree. 
4. Once the soup is smooth, add in the milk and taste. Season with more salt and garlic powder if you would like, it all depends on how you like it. 
5. Place the soup into a bowl, then the sliced shitakes on top and drizzle a little truffle oil. Garnish with parsley or green onions and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment