Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Monday, April 21, 2014

Blackened Red Snapper with Crawfish Cream Sauce

One things I miss most about home is the seafood. I grew up surrounded by some of the most tasty and fresh seafood in the country. When my parents were planning their trip to visit me in Tahoe I just had to request that they bring me some good ol' Louisiana seafood. And boy did they deliver! My mom brought me crawfish tails and jumbo shrimp, for the past few weeks it has all been in my freezer and on my mind! 
The one dish I could not stop thinking about once I saw the crawfish was red snapper with crawfish cream sauce. I don't remember the first place I ate this dish but I always remembered it tasting scrumptious. I looked though some recipe books I had from home but didn't find what I was looking for so I gave it a shot on my own and it turned out perfectly! 

If you have access to crawfish and haven't had this dish I highly recommend you give it a try. Ans stay tuned because I already have plans for the last pound of crawfish in my freezer,  crawfish bisque and crawfish etouffee... Yummy!  


Ingredients
Makes 4 Servings

2 lbs red snapper 

blackened seasoning (I use Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasoning Blends but you can also make your own
juice from 1/2 lemon 

Crawfish Sauce
1/2 lb crawfish tails
1 tbs butter
1/2 small onion, minced
5 sprigs of parsley, leaves minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 celery stalk, minced
1/2 small green bell pepper, minced
1/2 tbs oregano
1 tbs paprika
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
salt & pepper to taste
1 pint heavy cream

Coat the snapper in lemon juice then blackened seasoning, let it marinate whhile you prepare the crawfish sauce. 

Place a small pot on the stove and turn to medium/low heat. Place the butter in the pot and let it melt. Make sure your vegetables are finely minced then add them along with the seasonings to the melted butter, cook or 5 minutes or until softened. Once the vegetables have softened and add in the cream and increase to a simmer until it starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. Let it set on low heat while you cook the fish.

Heat 1 tbs of olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Once the pan is hot add in the fish. Cook for two minutes then flip and cook for another 3 minutes. If the fish is thicker cook it a little longer on each side. 

Place the fish on a plate and top with the crawsfish cream sauce and sprinkle with green onions. This dish goes great with a side of brown rice or cornbread. If the butter and cream are enough for you, don't worry this dish taste great any way you eat it!  

Buon Appetit! 

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the awesome recipe! I used crab meat instead of crawfish, turned out GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this shall me made this weekend. It think this will go great with some jambalaya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When do you add the crawfish to the sauce? Do they cook in the sauce, or separately?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I was wondering the same thing! Are we suppose to add it after the sauce thickens since it is pre-cooked? I just looked up a different recipe to see what they suggest and Emeril suggests adding the crawfish with the veggies, before the cream.

      Delete
  4. I have cajun seasoned crawfish from Louisiana. Just defrost and steam a few min. Can I use those?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good. My snapper is on the half shell (skin on one side). Do I need to remove before cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used your recipe to cook my Norwegian halibut. And it was fantastic. I also used shrimp rather than mud bugs. Going to save your recipe for a long time. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great. Thanks for sharing your recipe. This looks so yummy. Try to check this too
    DogsNStuff.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live on the Texas coast near Corpus Christi. There is seafood a restaurant in this area that makes a very similar sauce for many years. It’s called Laguna Reef. One year they posted the recipe in the newspaper, but I lost it. I’m glad to see yours posted because really needed it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When do you add the crawfish to the sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  12. When is the crawfish meat added to the sauce recipe is unclear and does not include this step

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could not thicken it. Probably will use 1 Tbsp of flour with initial butter and make a roux. Other than that, tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would add the crawfish at the end of the 5 minutes after the veggies get soft. They don't need long to cook. Im trying this recipe using unsweetened coconut milk instead of cream, flavored with shallot, green bell peppers, and jalapeno. Having this with a baked potato and some sautéed kale with rice wine vinegar lemon pepper seasoning, a touch of honey and garlic. Cant wait! Follow me @angieinsta12 for more Creole and Caribbean flavor

    ReplyDelete