Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Sunday, March 3, 2013

Lentil & Vegetable Stew

There is nothing fancy about this stew I just though it was delicious and easy so I decided to share it with you. The fixinxs in this stew are the random vegetables I had in the fridge left over from my CSA box from the past few weeks but you could add just about any other vegetables to this stew and it would be tasty.
 I used my crockpot for this one and because this stew cooked for so long the lentils practically disappeared and gave the soup a nice thick consistency. If you don't use a crockpot your stew may come out differently but still just as tasty.

Ingredients
Makes 4-6 servings

 1 tbs olive oil
1 rutabaga, peeled and cubed
1 daikon radish, peeled and cut into slices
3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 small carrots, peeled and sliced
1 spring onion, sliced (any type on onion will do)
2 celery stalks, sliced thin
3 cloves of garlic, diced
1 cup lentils (red or green), rinsed
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt 

2 tsp herbs de provence
4 cups of broth (plus more in case the stew thickens too much)

Crock-pot Directions 

Place the above ingredients into a crockpot and stir until everything is mixed well. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. 

Stove-top Directions 
Place the olive oil in a large pot and bring to a medium heat. Add in the garlic, onion and celery, cook for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir well, cover and cook for 40 minutes or more. You may have to cook for up to an hour but this depends on the time you have in the kitchen and your preference on the consistency. 

ENJOY! 





No comments:

Post a Comment