Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Sunday, March 3, 2013

Okra Gumbo - Vegetarian


I ate a lot of delicious gumbo growing up in Louisiana and it seems like everyone had their own way of making it unique. I didn't get into cooking until after I moved out of Louisiana so I didn't spend much time watching my family cook. and learning their ways and I totally regret it. 
 
 This was my first try and making gumbo and since the b/f doesn't eat meat I decided to see how a vegetarian gumbo would turn out. I know I should have cooked the roux much longer but I started cooking dinner very late and just gave up way too soon so make sure you have a good 45 minutes to make the roux until it is brown. I still loved the taste of my gumbo but I do wish it was darker. 


 Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup butter or vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp Cajun seasoning 
  • 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, diced
  • 3 cups cut okra
  • 2 green bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp gumbo file (optional)
  • 32 oz no-chicken broth 
  • 2 cups of cooked rice
Heat the butter or oil in a large pot over medium heat then add in the flour and stir constantly for at least 15 minutes. Add in the Cajun seasoning and continue to stir for another 15-20 minutes or until roux is a very dark brown. 

Then add in the onion, garlic, bell peppers, celery, okra, salt and gumbo file and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the broth, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for atleast 15 minutes or longer. 

While the soup is cooking make your rice. Serve warm over rice with a sprinkle of gumbo file. and enjoy! 


*I bought some lump crab meat or myself and threw it on top of my serving and next time I will have to add in some shrimp and make a good seafood gumbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment