Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Sunday, March 10, 2013

Cheesy Cauliflower & Leek Rice

This is a very yummy cheese casserole that makes a great side dish or entree. I really like the cauliflower puree in this dish, it is even delicious on its own. You only need 2 cups of puree for this dish so you could make more rice or eat it as soup. I really like using white cheddar with peppercorns for this entree but you could use any creamy cheese that you have laying around. 

1 cup brown rice, rinsed
3 garlic cloves, diced
1 cauliflower, cut into small florets 
1/2 cup sliced leeks, sliced
4 cups vegetable broth, 1 cup separated
4 oz peppercorn white cheddar, shredded
1/2 tsp thyme
 S&P

Place 2 cups of vegetable broth in a large pot and bring to medium heat. Place the cauliflower in the pot, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until cauliflower is soft. Preheat the oven to 350.

While the cauliflower is cooking bring 2 cups of vegetable broth to a broil and add in the rice,  then bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the broth has been absorbed. Once the cauliflower is soft use a food processor or immersion blender to puree and set aside. (I like to press the mixture through a sieve to make it extra smooth but it is not necessary.) 

In a separate pan heat 1 tbs of olive oil to medium heat and saute the garlic and leeks for 3-5 minutes. Place the cooked rice, leeks & garlic, and cauliflower puree into a baking dish and toss well. Mix in 1/2 of the shredded cheese and seasoning. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 15 minutes then broil on high for 5 minutes or until cheese is golden and crispy. 

I served my cheesy rice with Sauteed Leeks & Greens and a baked sweet potato.

No comments:

Post a Comment