Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Saturday, April 13, 2013

Kale, Carrots & Black Bean Verde Enchiladas

Here we go again... I'm down to the last few random veggies in from my CSA box, kale and carrots. I was not sure what the heck I wanted to do with the remaining veggies. I knew I did not want soup or stir fry, so it was time to put my thinking cap and get creative.


  I had plans to cook dinner with my friend Lauren, she requested enchiladas, so we decided to try something new and add in the kale and carrots. This was a great creation and turned out to be super delicious. You can make these totally your own but using corn tortillas or red enchilada sauce but I am a huge fan of verde enchiladas sauce* with flour tortillas.

 What's your favorite enchilada combination?

Ingredients
Makes 10 enchiladas

  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 3 cups of kale, stems removed and chopped
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 28 oz can of verde enchilada sauce
  • 6-8 oz shredded jack cheese
  • 10 soft taco shells

1. Heat 1 tbs of olive oil in a large skillet to medium heat. Saute the garlic and onions for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Next add in the kale, carrots, salt and cumin, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Once the carrots have softened add in the black beans, 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup of cheese and mix well. At this point taste the mixture and add more seasoning if needed.

2. Preheat the oven to 375. Pour 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of an oven proof baking dish or dishes depending on the size of your baking dish. Place the tortillas on a flat work surface. Divide the kale and carrot mixture evenly on the tortillas and carefully roll them up. Place the rolls seam side up next to each other tightly packed in the baking dish. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the rolled up tortillas and top with the remaining cheese.

3. Bake for 20 minutes then broil for 5 minutes on high. Top with a dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt and sliced green onions. Serve warm and enjoy!

*If you are a vegetarian make sure you read the ingredients of the enchilada sauce before you buy it. Some enchilada sauce contains dried chicken powder. Not all brands have this ingredient so you can stuill enjoy this yummy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment