Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Monday, July 7, 2014

Forbidden Stir Fry

Have you ever heard of forbidden rice? Legend has is that this grain was eaten exclusively by Chinese emperors to increase longevity and health. Not only is it high in many nutrients but it is also tasty! Forbidden rice is a great source of iron, vitamin E and very high in antioxidants. Take a look in your nearest specialty grocer and pick up a bag of this rice. You will not be disappointed. 
This recipe is vegetarian but as you can see from the pictures I did use shrimp.... but I cooked it on the side and added it separately. It tasted great either way! If you use shrimp just peel it and toss it in 1 tsp of sesame oil and a tsp of red chili paste and saute for 2 minutes on each side. 

Ingredients

Rice
1 cup black rice 
2 1/2 cups broth 
1 tsp sesame oil

Fixins
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tsp ginger, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tbs sesame oil
2 tbs soy sauce (plus more if needed)
1 tbs red chili paste
3 cups chopped bok choy
2 cups mushrooms (preferable shitake or oyster)
1/2 cup water chestnuts
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into small strips


To make the rice, bring the broth to a boil add in the sesame oil & rice. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until ready. (If needed: When the rice is soft pour it through a sifter to drain)

While the rice is cooking heat the sesame oil in a large pan and add in the garlic, ginger, onion and red chili paste. Saute until fragrant then add in the rest of the vegetables* and cook until the bok choy wilts. Toss in the rice when the vegetables are to your liking. Season with more soy sauce and red chili paste as needed and serve. 

*If you like your peppers crunchy wait to cook them until the last 2 minutes. 












No comments:

Post a Comment