Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Saturday, July 12, 2014

Baked Falafel & Tabouleh with Tzatziki

This is one healthy meal that I can't get enough of. I love making baked falafel and homemade tzatziki, it's easier than you might think. I don't use egg in my falafel so it is vegan friendly as long as you leave out the yogurt.

I like to serve falafel with Tabouleh. Tabouleh is super simple and very good for you side dish that takes no time at all and tastes better the longer it sits. Another yummy addition to this meal would be some warm pita bread with a katamala olive tapenade or Greek Feta Dip. As always taste as you go and add more seasoning as you go along. Everyone has different tastes so it is up to you to manage the flavor. I hope you enjoy!! 


Tabouleh
1 1/2 cups bulgar wheat
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
zest from 1 lemon
2 tomatoes diced
3 cups chopped parsley
S&P

Bring the water to a boil. Rinse the bulgar wheat then place into a glass or ceramic bowl then pour in the boiling water, lemon juice, zest and the olive oil. Season with S&P then cover tightly with a tight lid or plastic wrap. Let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Once the bulgar is fluffy and cool add in the parsley and tomatoes. Taste and season again if needed. At this time you can add more lemon juice as well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. 

Tzatziki 
2 cups Greek yogurt
juice from half a lemon
1 handful of dill, chopped
1/2 English cucumber, shaved thin 

Mix ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to use. Add as much or little dill as you like, I love the taste so I sometimes double it up.

Falafel

1 can of chickpeas, drained
1/4 cup parsley
1/8 cup sesame seeds
1 tbs cumin
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 small onion
2 garlic cloves
S&P
1 cup breadcrumbs

Place all above ingredients except the bread crumbs into a food processor and pulse until mostly smooth. It is okay to leave it a little chunky. Transfer the mixture from the food processor to a bowl. Slowly mixing small amounts of the bread crumbs at a time until you are able to form a ball that will hold together and is not too sticky. Next place the mixture into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. (Keep some breadcrumbs on hand in case you need a little more after the mixture chills.)

Preheat oven to 400. After 30 minutes remove the mixture and form you patties or balls then place each patty or ball onto a non-stick baking sheet. Continue until you have used all of the mixture. Bake at 400 for 15-20* minutes on each side. Serve warm and enjoy! 


*Baking time depends on your oven. Use one patty as your test patty and sample it after 15 minutes on each side then decide if it needs more time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment