Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Sunday, November 25, 2012

Green Bean Casserole (from scratch!)

As I mentioned in the previous post I have quite a few new rescipes to add thanks to my all day cooking adventure on Turkey Day. Since I am so far from home and don't get to spend the holidays with my folks it is very important that I have mom's Thanksgiving dishes at my table.
I was so busy cooking I forgot to get individual pics of the dishes I made.
Green Bean Casserole has to be a favorite of mine but the ingredients of most GB Casseroles that I've had come out of a can. This year I decided to make it all from scratch. It was delicious and actually very easy to make. There are quite a few steps but it's not that much work. You can make the sauce the day before, just reheat it on the stove, add to the fixins & bake.
 Cream of Mushroom
  • 12 oz  evaporated milk
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • cracked pepper & pinch of salt
  • 4 oz of mushrooms
  • 2 tbs cornstarch
 Place all of the ingredients except the cornstarch into a pot on medium high heat. Whisk the cornstarch in 1 to 2 tbs of cold water until smooth then slowly whisk into the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 7-10 minutes. If the sauce is not thickening add another tbs of cornstarch.

Fried Onions
  • 1 cup of milk 
  • 1/2 yellow onion, sliced into thin rings
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Soak the onion slices in a cup of milk for 5-10 minutes while your oil is heating up. Place the oil in a deep pan or pot and heat to medium heat. Make sure you have about 1/2 inch of oil. Carefully place the rings one at a time into the oil and cook for about 5 minutes. Make sure to flip the onions when they start to brown. When the onions are done remove them and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
  
 Fixins
  • 1 lb fresh green beans, ends trimmed and cut in half
  • 4 oz mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 yellow onion chopped
 Place the green beans, shrooms and chopped onions in a baking dish. Pour the cream of mushroom over the dish. Top with onions and bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment