Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Thursday, November 29, 2012

Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Quinoa Chili

You  might think "sweet potato and quinoa chili? That's weird". The b/f thought the same thing when I told him what I was cooking for dinner but he sure as heck went back for seconds! This chili is packed full of protein and good for you! Give it a shot and I promise you'll love it! 
Chili Seasoning
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom
  • 1/4 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tbs red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp salt
Mix the seasoning in a small bowl and set aside.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup red quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 cup of vegetable broth
  • 2 tbs olive oil, separted
  • 2 garlic cloves, diced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 3 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 2 cans of stewed tomatoes
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1 can of black beans, rinsed
Fixins
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • green  onions
Place the vegetable broth with a dash of olive oil in a small pot, bring to a boil then add in the quinoa. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. 

While the quinoa is cooking heat 1 tbs of olive oil in a large pot. Saute the garlic, celery, bell pepper and onion for 5 minutes. Next add the sweet potato and 1/4 cup of vegetable broth, cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes or until sweet potato starts to soften. Reduce the heat to medium/low, add in the chili seasoning, stewed tomatoes and beans. Cover and for at least 15 minutes. If you want to let it sit turn the heat on low and keep on the stove as long as you like. Once you are ready to serve the chili add the quinoa to the chili and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment