Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Thursday, November 1, 2012

Crockpot Vegetarian Chilli

Growing up my folks made some delicious chili. It wasn't anything fancy just kidney beans, ground meat, the regular fixins and a packet of McCormick Chili Seasoning served over rice with a slice of good ol' American cheese! Living with a vegetarian I of course had to change my chili making ways otherwise I'd have way too many leftovers. I don't keep American cheese in the house anymore but  cheddar cheese does the trick. 
The best thing about making chili is that you can toss all the fixins in the crockpot and enjoy the day! Sunday morning I was craving an outdoor adventure but knew I had a ton of things to do before the work week so it was time to break out the crockpot! I threw the fixins in the crockpot and went on a nice long snowy hike with my friend Tiara. With the chili in the crockpot I was able to enjoy the hike and not think about dinner. It was a snowy trek up the hill but it sure was beautiful! A few of the Aspens still had glowing yellow leaves and the ground was covered with snow. Most of all Wilson (my pup) was having a blast chasing his pal Roxy in circles.
 When I got home I could smell the chili from outside, what a delicous aroma! One day when you feel like breaking out the crockpot, give this recipe a try and enjoy.

                                                                Ingredients:
1 cup lentils
2 cups dried kidney beans*8 oz mushrooms, chopped
3 zucchini, cut into semi-circles
1/2 onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, diced

4 garlic cloves, diced
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 cans stewed tomatoes

Chili Seasoning:
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom
  • 1/4 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tbs red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp salt
Mix the seasoning in a small bowl. Prep your veggies and place them in the crockpot starting with the beans first. Add in the vegetable broth, stewed tomatoes and the seasoning, giving it a quick stir but try to keep the beans on the bottom. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. Serve warm with cheddar cheese and chives.

* Soak the beans 24 hours prior, rinse and drain



No comments:

Post a Comment