Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Veggie Fried Quinoa

Last week we were spoiled with the most beautiful summer like weather .. this week is has been off and on raining and not a hint of sunshine. It's not so bad to be stuck inside but I'd sure like to get outside and go mountain biking a few more times before I leave for vacation. The gloomy, rainy weather forced me to stick to workouts at the gym, gave me a chance to organize some things, catch up on a few tv shows and of course gave me time to cook all kinds of yummy meals. 

Our CSA veggie box last week came with all kinds of style stir fry veggies like bok choy, snow peas and carrots, typically I will make Udon Noodles with Bok ChoyCilantro Peanuty Udon Noodles or Thai Vegetable Soup. This time I decided to switch it up and try something new. A while back I saw a recipe on another blog for fried quinoa and it looks awesome so I decided to try it on my own. This dish is similar to fried rice but a much healthier version that is packed full of protein.

Ingredients
Makes 4 servings

1/2 tbs olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 scallions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp fresh ground ginger
2 bok choy, cut into 1 inch squares
3 celery stalks, sliced
1 cup julienned carrots
2 cups of snow peas, stems removed

2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs siracha 
1/2 tbs olive oil

2 eggs, beaten 
2 tsp olive oil

1 cup quinoa
2 cups of vegetable stock
Pour 1 tsp of olive oil in a small pot and turn to medium heat. Add in the quinoa with a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring every minute or two. Then pour in the stock, bring the liquid to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Once the quinoa is done, fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.

Heat 1/2 tbs olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat, add in the chopped onions and cook for 10 minutes. Next add in the scallions, garlic and ginger and cook for 3-5 minutes. Place the rest of the veggies into the skillet and mix well. 
In a small bowl mix the siracha and soy sauce together until lumps are gone then add it to the veggies and stir well, cook for 10 minutes. Remove the veggies and place in your serving dish. 

Wipe out the skillet then add in 1 tsp of olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot add in the eggs, cook constantly stirring until eggs start to scramble then add in the rest of the olive oil along with the quinoa and continue to fluff and cook for a few minutes. 
Once the egg is cooked and mixed well in the quinoa add the veggies back into the skillet and toss. Serve warm and enjoy! 

** Try not to over cook the qunioa or it will get a little mushy by then end of the process. 




No comments:

Post a Comment