Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Spinach Feta Scone/Bread

This weekend the b/f and I took a trip to ski at Alpine Meadows. On the way up we made the a stop at the Tahoe House in Tahoe City to get some coffee and a little breakfast to go. It is a must have if you are in the Tahoe City area. They serve scones, bagels and so many other pastries and goodies. I usually go for a good ol' bagel but this time I decided to go for the spinach feta scone and it was yummy! After having one slice I knew I had to try and make it myself. 
This was my first time making a scone and I totally started off on the wrong foot because I was out of butter and had already made one too many trips to the grocery store. So instead of butter I used a little olive oil and some Greek yogurt and it turned out to be a great decision and a healthy alternative. The end result was not as dry as a scone but not quite a bread so I will call it scone/bread. This recipe makes for a great side for dinner or a yummy breakfast. Enjoy! 

Ingredients 

2 cups white flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 egg 
1/2 cup Greek yogurt 
3/4 cup milk
1
 cup sauteed spinach
1
/2 cup feta 


1. Preheat the oven to 450. 
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, soda, garlic powder and salt in a large bowl. 
3 .Whisk the egg in a small bowl then add in the yogurt and milk and mix well.
4. Combine the dry and wet ingredients together until evenly combined. 
5. Mix in the spinach and feta into the dough and knead into a ball.
6. Form the ball of dough into a 3/4 inch thick circle and cut into triangles. 
7. Place the triangles on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes. 
8. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment