Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Thursday, January 5, 2012

Ginger, Garlic Barley with Brussel Sprouts Edamame & Spinach

This was my first time making barley and think I used a little too much water but in the end it tasted pretty darn good. This is a recipe I got from Whole Living and made a few adjustments. I doubled the barley in the Whole Living recipe so I would have more leftovers which could have been why it was watery so I adjusted the water in the ingredients below in hopes you don't have the same problem. I also started with 2 cups of spinach and after dinner decided to add more to my leftovers.

3 1/2 cups of water
1 cup barley
1 lb brussel sprouts, halved
1 1/2 cups of frozen shelled edamame
3-4  cups of spinach
1 tbs of diced ginger
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cups chopped cashews
S & P



Bring the water to a boil and a touch of salt. Add the barley, simmer, cover and cook for 40 minutes. Keep checking to make sure you have enough water and add more if needed (no more than 1/2 cup more). Once the barley is done turn to low and add edamame. In a separate large pan/pot sautee the garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes on low/med heat. Add the brussel sprouts and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add a touch more olive oil then add the spinach and cashews. Cover and cook until the spinach starts to wilt. Once the spinach is wilted add the barley mixture and season with S&P. 


No comments:

Post a Comment