Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Monday, January 2, 2012

Lentil, Kale, Root Veggie Stew

1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
2 turnips, peeled and cut into cubes
 6 golden beets, peeled and cut into cubes
2 cups green lentils
1 cup of baby carrots
4-6 kale leaves, remove stem and chop leaves
1/2 onion chopped
4 garlic cloves, diced
S&P + tarragon
4 cups of water
Olive oil

Place some olive oil in the bottom of a large pot. Saute the onion and garlic on low heat until the onions are translucent. Next add the lentils, stir around and then add the water. Bring the water to a boil then return to simmer. Once the water is simmering and add in the squash, turnips and the beets. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. Then add in the chopped kale and carrots and cook for another 10-15 minutes. The stew will be done when the vegetables are soft and most of the water is absorbed. * You can season this soup with just about anything like garlic powder, thyme, tarragon etc. The flavors from evertyhing above give this dish a sweet but savory taste. Also if you want you can pre-cook the butternut squash in the oven to make it softer prior to cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment