Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Sunday, January 6, 2013

Forbidden Black Rice, Purple Veggie Stir Fry

Purple and blue vegetables have lots of vitamin C and all kinds of other nutrients that lower cholesterol and boost your immune system. My last CSA box had a head of purple cabbage and a purple cauliflower. I remembered seeing a recipe in Whole Living Magazine this summer for a black rice stir fry so I picked up a few more purple vegetables and decided to make black rice stir fry.
 I had black rice for the first time in Hawaii last year and fell in love! I had it with some type of fish and it was cooked in a teriyaki type sauce. I have only used it in dishes with soy sauce but  I will have to think outside of the box next time and see what other dishes it works well with. Black rice falls into the category of a super food. It is considered to be anti-inflammatory and a great source of antibiotics.You can find it at most grocery stores but I like the Lotus brand of Forbidden Black Rice. 
Step 1. Baked Tofu (optional) If your a meat eater just use chopped, baked chicken
6 oz tofu, cubed
1 tbs sesame oil
1 tbs soy sauce

Toss the tofu in the sesame oil and tofu, let sit for 15 minutes, flipping once. Bake on a non stick pan at 350 for 30 minutes, flipping once. 

Step 2 Stir Fry
1 tbs sesame oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp ginger, diced
1/4 cup scallions or leeks, sliced
3 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs rice wine vinegar
1 cup purple cauliflower
3 cups eggplant, cubed
2 cups purple kale, chopped
2 cups purple cabbage,chopped
1-2 tbs siracha

1 cup of black rice, cooked

In a large wok, heat up the sesame oil on low/medium. Saute the garlic, leeks and ginger for 3 minutes. Add in the egg plant, cauliflower, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes on med/high until the eggplant softens. Add in the cabbage and kale, cover and cook for another 5 minutes or until soft. Once all of the vegetables are soft add in the tofu and toss with siracha (adding as much or little as you like). Place the rice on the plate then top with vegetables. Serve warm. ENJOY! 



No comments:

Post a Comment