Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Thursday, January 24, 2013

Polenta Pizza with Roasted Peppers & Shrooms

I love polenta because it reminds me of grits. Growing up in Louisiana I did not know too much about food like quinoa, polenta, wheat berries, butter lettuce and the list goes on and on!  Typically I buy precooked polenta and make it into rounds like in my Polenta Bruschetta recipe but this time I decided to use make a pizza. If you are looking for a gluten free pizza recipe this one is for you!
 The directions below look a little intimidating but it really is easy. Just be super careful when transferring the polenta to your baking dish. I used a pizza stone but you can use a pizza pan instead which might make it easier. 

Step 1 - Make the Crust
Ingredients
1 cup uncooked polenta

2 cups of water 
1/8 tsp salt
sprinkle of garlic pepper 

Place the water and polenta in a large sauce pan and whisk until all clumps are removed. Bring the water to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Whisk the polenta a few times while it is cooking until it is thick and starting to stick together. Once the polenta is ready place the polenta on a sheet of wax paper on a flat pan. Shape the polenta into the shape you want your pizza and place into fridge.

Step 2 - Prep the Fixins
Ingredients

1 tbs butter 
2 small portobello caps, sliced

1/2 cup sliced roasted red peppers, sliced
6 basil leaves cut into strips
4-6 oz buffalo mozz8 oz tomato sauce
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes

Preheat  the oven to 450. If you are using a pizza stone place it in the oven now. In a large skillet melt the butter on medium heat and place the sliced mushrooms in the pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Make sure not to crowd the mushrooms and cook them in two rounds if needed then set aside when they are cooked. Slice the cheese, bell peppers and basil and set aside with the shrooms. Place the tomato sauce in a small pot with the oregano, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Warm the sauce and make sure the flavor is to your liking.

Step 3 - Put the pizza together
Remove the pizza stone from the oven and the polenta from the fridge. Very carefully place the polenta on your pizza stone. Spray with a little olive oil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and spread on your pizza sauce, layer the cheese first, then vegetables and basil. Sprinkle with a little fresh parmesan and bake for 15 minutes. 


* The crust is not as strong as pizza dough so you may have to eat some of it with a fork. Next time I make this pizza I will use more polenta and see if that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment