Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Monday, January 28, 2013

Polenta Medallions with Arugula Pesto Mushrooms & Eggplant

This recipe makes a great party snack, appetizer or in my case an addition to dinner. I had quite a bit of polenta in the pantry and a good amount of arugula pesto left over from my Green Beans & Potatoes  and wanted to make something delicious.The first thing that popped into my head was mushrooms with polenta tossed in pesto but I wanted to get a little more creative and add some variety to the plate so I added eggplant and roasted peppers. You friends and family will be quite impressed with this recipe so give it a shot and let me know your thoughts! 
Ingredients
  • 18 oz. pre-cooked polenta, sliced into rounds
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 Japanese eggplant, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan
  • 1 roasted red bell pepper, cut into squares
  • 8-10 large crimini mushrooms, stems removed
  • 4-6 oz buffalo mozzarella, thinly sliced
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1/8 cup water
  • 1/4 cup arugula pesto (or any pesto of choice)
  • 3 large basil leaves, sliced into strips
Bring the oven to a high broil. Place the eggplant on a nonstick pan and spray each side with olive oil. Broil the eggplant on high 5 minutes, flip and broil for 3 more minutes. Once the eggplant is cooked remove from the pan and place in a bowl, cover and keep warm.

Place 1/8 cup water and 1 tbs olive oil in a non-stick pan and bring to medium heat. Once it is warm add in the shrooms cover and cook for 5-10 minutes flipping once. Remove the shrooms from the pan when they are soft and add to the eggplant. Toss the vegetable in pesto and set aside.

Warm 2 tbs of olive oil in a large non-stick pan. Place the polenta medallions in the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side or until they start to get crispy. When the polenta medallions are ready place them on a baking sheet or baking safe plate. 
After you place the medallions on the plate or pan assemble your creations. Once your medallions are assembled place the plate in the oven on a low broil for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt. Carefully remove and serve warm.

Here are a few layering ideas: 
1) Mozzarella Cheese, Mushroom, Basil, Parmesan
2) Eggplant, Red Bell Pepper, Eggplant, Basil, Parmesan 
3) Red Bell Pepper, Basil, Parmesan 


No comments:

Post a Comment