Welcome to Yummy Fixins!

Thanks so much for checking out my blog. My name is Arica, I am a Personal Chef serving the Lake Tahoe area. Please visit my new website at www.yummyfixins.com

Cooking is my passion, I love spending time in the kitchen creating yummy dishes. I originally created this blog to share healthy yummy recipes with my friends and family but now I'm sharing them with the world. Most of the dishes you will find here are very healthy and can be altered to fit any dietary restrictions. I hope you will find something delicious!


Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Shepherds Pie with a Stewy Twist

This is my first time making shepherds pie and of course I could not make a traditional recipe I had to make a vegetarian shepherds pie with a little twist. Now don't get me wrong I am a carnivore and love traditional shepherds pie but I am terrible at eating leftovers and my vegetarian boyfriend would not help be willing to help me eat a meat filled dinner.
I had some carrots, chard and a beautiful large turnip left over from my recent CSA box and they just went perfectly with this dish.
There were quite steps involved in making this dish but it is so worth the time and effort. Since the dish is baked in the oven it is okay if one of your layers is cold when you prepare the dish for baking. 

First Layer - Lentil Stew
3 cups vegetable broth - 1 cup separated
1 cup green lentils

2 tbs olive oil
1/2 yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
2 carrots, sliced into crescents
1 scarlet queen turnip, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
6 oz white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1 bay leaf

Pour 2 cups of broth into a small pot and bring to a boil. Once the broth is boiling add in the lentils, return to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
Heat the olive oil in a  large pot on medium heat. 
Saute the garlic & onions for 3 minutes. Next add in 1 cup of vegetable broth and the rest of the veggies. Cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Add in the lentils, thyme, oregano & bay leaf. Uncover and cook for another 8-10 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone. 

Second Layer - Chard Saute
5 chard leaves or 1 bunch of spinach 
1 small shallot 
1 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup white wine

Heat the olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Add in the scallions, chard and white wine. Saute for 3-5 minutes or until leaves begin to wilt. 

Third Layer- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
1.5 - 2 lbs of potatoes, peeled & cubed 
2 tbs butter
1 cup almond milk
1 tbs garlic powder
sprinkle of salt

Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add in the potatoes and boil for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain the water and place into a mixing bowl. Add the butter, almond milk, garlic powder and salt. Mix well and set aside. 

Preheat the oven to 350. Layer the three mixtures in a casserole dish starting with the stew. Top with Parmesan Garlic Bread Dipping Blend* and bake for 25 minutes. 
*If you don't have Parmesan Garlic Bread Dipping Blend you can use dried garlic, red pepper flakes and oregano. 



Adapted from http://thewimpyvegetarian.com/2012/11/vegetarian-shepherds-pie/

No comments:

Post a Comment